1. We ______ to the top of Holborn Hill before I ______ that he was not smiling at all.
had got, knew got, knew were getting, knew have got, have known
2. Turning from the Temple gate as soon as I ______ the warning, I ______ my way to Fleet Street, and then ______ to Covent Garden.
was reading, made, drove have read, made, drove had read, made, drove read, made, drove
3. Seventy-seven detective novels and books of stories by Agatha Christie ______ into every major language, and her sales ______ in tens of millions.
are translated, are calculated were translated, were calculated have been translated, are calculated had been translated, were calculated
4. In recent years, scientific and technological developments ______ human life on our planet, as well as our views both of ourselves as individuals in society and of the universe as a whole.
have drastically changed drastically changed are drastically changing change drastically
5. Before we ______ from swimming in the river near the camp, someone ______ our clothes, and we had to walk back with our towels around us.
returned, stole had returned, had stolen were returning, stole returned, had stolen
6. Our new neighbours ______ in Arizona for ten years before moving to their present house.
had been living lived have been living were living
7. We went into the house by a side door and the first thing I ______ was that the passages ______ all dark, and that she ______ a candle burning there.
noticed, were, left had noticed, had been, had left noticed, were, had left have noticed, were, had left
8. The sun ______ brightly all day on the roof of my attic, and the room was warm.
was shining shone has shone had been shining
9. Although the period that we call "the Renaissance" ______ in Italy in the fourteenth century, this idea of rebirth in learning characterized other epochs in history in different parts of the world.
begins had begun began will begin
10. Egyptians left no written accounts as to the execution of mummification, so the scientists ______ to examine mummies and establish their own theories.
had have are having have had
11. In spite of the fact that it ______ all day long, the match ______ and the stands were full of spectators.
had been raining, was not cancelled rained, was not cancelled was raining, has not cancelled had rained, had not been cancelled
12. Many football fans claimed that after "Real FC" ______ that important game it ______ no chance to win the championship.
lost, had lose, has had lost, had will lose, will have
13. I wish he ______ last Friday but his flight ______ because of bad weather. If he ______ the next day I would have brought him by car.
arrived, was cancelled, called had arrived, was cancelled, had called had arrived, had been cancelled, called arrived, have cancelled, had called
14. After many long years of devoted and patient instruction, the doctor ______ able to get the boy to clothe and feed himself, recognize and utter a number of words, as well as write letters and form words.
was has been had been were
15. At the first stages of the Industrial Revolution advertising ______ a relatively straightforward means of announcement and communication and was used mainly to promote novelties and fringe products which ______ unknown to the public.
had been, were had been, had been was, were was being, were
16. Towards the end of the 19th century the larger companies ______ more and more on mass advertising to promote their new range of products. The market during this period ______ by a small number of giant, conglomerate enterprises.
relied, has been controlled relied, had been controlled were relying, has been controlled relied, were controlled
17. To cater for the fitness boom of the 80s and provide the up-to-date facilities people want, over 1,500 private health and fitness clubs ______ during the past 15 years.
were built had been built have been built will be built
18. In 1936 the British Broadcasting Corporation ______ to provide a public radio service. Since then the BBC ______ by the establishment of independent and commercial radio and television, which ______ the BBC's broadcasting monopoly.
was established, was influenced, removed was established, has been influenced, removed was established, has been influenced, had removed was established, had been influenced, removed
19. The Neolithic Age was a period of history which ______ in approximately 6000 B.C. and ______ until 3000 B.C.
began, lasted had begun, lasted began, was lasting had begun, had been lasting
20. A major problem in the construction of new buildings is that windows ______ while air conditioning systems
have been eliminated, have not been perfected were eliminated, were not perfected had been eliminated, had not been perfected eliminate, are not perfected