5. I didn't like the way the furniture was arranged, so I tried ______ the table to the other side of the room. But then I moved it back again.
moving move to move to moving
6. Oh, it's a very difficult question. I'd rather ______ about it for a while than ______ now.
think, to decide think, decide to think, to decide thought, decide
7. I pretended ______ interested in the conversation but really it was very boring.
be being to be to being
8. It is very difficult to get used to ______ in a tent after having a comfortable bed to lie on.
sleep sleeping slept oversleep
9. He ______ smoke a pack a day when he was younger.
used used to got used was used to
10. In court she strongly denied ______ anywhere near the scene of the crime.
be to be was being
11. I regret ______ that he couldn't go on ______ like a child. Now he is upset.
saying, behaving saying, to behave to say, to behave to say, behaving
12. The driver was accused of ______ the road accident by the police that morning.
provoke provoked provoking to provoke
13. We had better ______ this chapter carefully because we will have some questions on it on our test tomorrow.
review reviewed to review reviewing
14. He seemed ______ all about influenza and said there was nothing ______ about. It took him five minutes ______ me ______ his words.
know, worrying, to make, to believe knowing, worried, make, believing knowing, to worry, make, to believe to know, to worry, to make, believe
15. He couldn't help ______ a small flat in London.
dream to have dreaming of having dreaming to have dreaming to have had
16. Your money could ______ to good use instead of ______ idle in the bank.
be put, being left to be put, being left to put, being left put, to be left
17. I have been talking to that man for an hour but then I preferred ______ to him because he is very difficult.
to stop talk, to understand to stop talking, to understand stop talking, understanding stop to talk, understanding
18. In my early years I used to ______ in for sport, but now I can't afford it because of the lack of time.
going go have gone had gone
19. While I was going home I heard the bomb ______ .
exploding exploded explode to explode
20. ______ to the hotel he hurried up the stairs to his room, sat down on the sofa, lit a cigarette and saw a letter ______ for him on the desk. came, waiting having come, waited coming, waited having come, waiting